Coordinating teacher: Paoletta Marrocu
Singing masterclass with Sonia Prina, Massimo Cavalletti, Renata Scotto, Nicola Ulivieri.
The course is addressed to a maximum of 20 opera singers of any nationality, between the age of 18 and 35.
2. Purpose of the course
The course is aimed at perfecting the singer’s vocal and interpretative lyrical techniques on an advanced level. It includes lessons and master classes, taught by established professionals and artists, together with an intense work experience, that will allow the participants to live a direct experience of the stage.
At the end of this course, the participants will perform two operas, a contemporary opera and three concerts of the 2020/2021 Teatro Coccia season.
The course will take place at the Teatro Coccia in Novara and it will develop during not continuous periods of time starting from November 2020 to June 2021. The lessons will be planned according to the teacher’s schedule, with special attention to the musical theater’s production and alongside with other courses’ classes.
In case of course’s interruption, due to reasons of “force majeure”, we will proceed with Distance Learning mode through a dedicated online platform for theoretical lessons, while practical lessons and work experience periods will be postponed.
4. Training program
The course will be divided into 264 practical and theoretical hours and 41 work experience days. The programme will be scheduled into the following modules:
- 13 – 14 November 2020: introduction to the working environment; the theatrical machine and its environments. Comparison between the Teatro Coccia and other theaters. Professors: Helenio Talato, Renato Bonajuto, Corinne Baroni. Basic safety course on the workplace, on the stage and application of the Covid-19 protocol. Teacher: Ing. Marco Cigolotti (RSPP of Teatro Coccia)
- 15 – 19 November 2020: theoretical and vocal technique lessons taught by the coordinating teacher. Meeting on the musical creation of an opera character with the composer Marco Podda.
- 1 – 5 December 2020: theoretical and vocal technique lessons. Teacher Paoletta Marrocu
- 16 – 23 January 2021: theoretical, technique and interpretation lessons. Teacher Paoletta Marrocu
- 15 – 20 February 2021: theoretical, technique and interpretation lessons. Teacher Paoletta Marrocu
- 15 – 16 March 2021: masterclass on the characterization of characters for the traditional repertoire with Massimo Cavalletti.
- 17 – 18 March 2021: preparation of some scenes taken from the opera repertoire during the course of musical theater direction.Teacher Roberto Recchia.
- 6 – 25 April 2021: work experience and masterclass on the opera La Traviata by G. Verdi with Renata Scotto. The students will be engaged with direction , musical and group rehearsals until the debut of the opera. The candidates for the main characters and the comprimario role will be selected at the beginning of the direction’s rehearsals.
- April 26 – May 11 2021: work experience and masterclass with Nicola Ulivieri on the contemporary opera Un bullo in maschera. The students will be engaged with direction, musical and group rehearsals until the debut of the opera. The candidates for the main characters, the comprimario role and the choir will be selected at the beginning of the direction’s rehearsals.
- 1 – 6 June 2021: work experience and masterclass on technique and expression with Sonia Prina for the preparation of the concert Petite Messe Solennelle. The students will be engaged with the rehearsals until the debut of the concert. The candidates for soloists and choir will be selected at the beginning of the rehearsals.
At the end of the course, the teachers and the theater direction will select the students deserving to perform for an audition in the presence of the major national and international music institution’s representatives. The audition will be video-recorded and the content will be given to both the recorded students and the present institutions. The theater’s direction, in accordance with the related teachers, will select the suitable students who will be casted for the Teatro Coccia 2021/2022 season.
The calendar of meetings and master classes may be subject to changes that will be promptly notified to the students.
5. Application procedure for selection
Entering the pre-selection doesn’t require any specific qualification, it is however necessary a good knowledge on the counterpoint and on the repertoire of the musical theater.
It will be mandatory to send via email (mail object: “AMO – CORSO DI PERFEZIONAMENTO DI CANTO LIRICO”) the following documents:
- Filled out application form (annex A) with a copy of your identity document (ID);
- Academic curriculum and artistic experiences;
- Videos of 2 arias of your choice, they must be from the traditional opera theater repertoire and at least one of them must be in Italian language. They must be sent via link YouTube video or in a mp4 format via www.wetransfer.com, with the date and place of recording;
- Payment receipt by bank transfer to “Fondazione Teatro Coccia Onlus”
IBAN IT 80 X 05034 10100 000000042424 of the application fee of € 40,00.
Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
The students who passed the pre-selection (up to 50) will have the opportunity to participate to a live audition that will take place at the Teatro Coccia in Novara on November 11th-12th 2020.
For this live audition, the candidates must present 4 arias taken from the opera teather repertoire in original language, at least 3 of these arias must be sung by memory in Italian. Besides the candidate must present the entire role of a free choice character from La Traviata. The piano accompanist will be put at your disposal by the organizer. It is mandatory to bring with you a copy of the music scores you have chosen so that they can be given to the pianist.
The candidates are free to come with their pianist, as long as it is at their expense.
7. Deadlines and time limits
The application forms, alongside with everything listed at point 5, must be sent to the Teatro Coccia of Novara via email to email@example.com by and no later than 2nd November 2020; the selected candidates the day and the hour of their audition will be communicated via email by 7th November 2020.
On 11th and 12th November 2020 the auditions for the canditates who received the convocation mail will take place at Teatro Coccia.
The names of the candidates admitted to the course will be communicated at the end of the auditions.
8. Costs and conditions of participation
The participation fee for the selected students is of € 1.000,00 and includes didactic materials and contemporary scores.
The fee for the selected students must be paid in 4 installments of € 250,00 each (installments deadlines 31/12/2020 – 28/02/2021 – 31/03/2021 – 30/04/2021) by bank transfer to “Fondazione Teatro Coccia Onlus”, the receipt must be sent via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
All the payments must be done to this: IBAN IT 80 X 05034 10100 000000042424
We specify that in case of missing instalment payment by the deadline dates, the course will be interrupted.
The costs of food and accommodation will be at the expense of the students, who can benefit of the agreements that Teatro Coccia Foundation has entered into with hotels and restaurants in the city.
The students that will be selected for the Opera La Traviata, Un bullo in maschera and Petite Messe Solennelle, which are part of the Teatro Coccia 2020/2021 season, will receive a payed contract, that will be further communicated due to the company’s policy.
Course frequency is mandatory for both theoretical hours and for work experiences that requires an active participation by all the students of the course. Possible requirements that may partially compromise the participation in the productions must be communicated at the admission moment.
Students will have the opportunity, thanks to a special membership, to participate as an audience in all the performances of the Teatro Coccia season.